Tuesday 23 April 2013

Trondheim - Gateway to Nordland

Hi folks, I'm in Trondheim! I've been waiting for my connecting train since arriving from Lillehammer at around 3pm local time. As a result, I've had plenty of time to look around and get a feel for the place (as well as work out which local suppliers we will be looking at for new Premier Partnerships).




Trondheim is great! It has a quirky mix of influences, with traditional waterfront architecture meeting a boho student population. The result is fairly unique - quaint old buildings housing chic cafes and bars, and bicycles everywhere. Despite being Norway's 3rd largest city, it's easy to walk around and is fairly quiet - but then what would you expect in a country with five and a half million inhabitants? Despite the lack of people, there's a certain buzz about the place, particularly early in the evening as the bars start to fill up. Having such a young population is doing Trondheim no harm at all it seems. Not that the history has been overlooked - I went to take a look at Norway's oldest cathedral in the centre of town, the Nidarosdomen.


It's worth bearing in mind if you're visiting that opening hours out of season are limited - I just missed out on looking around inside as the ticket office currently closes at 2 on a Tuesday. Not that the outside wasn't impressive! You can see all of my pictures from today on the flickr stream at http://www.flickr.com/photos/flydrivenorway/ .


Oh, and just for your reference, in case you didn't know, this is me, trying to look inconspicuous...

Right, time to eat! I'll not say where I'm off to now - all I will tell you is that when I wake up, I'll be somewhere very different without spending much money!

No comments:

Post a Comment